The Dresden Residence Palace was once the centre of power of the Saxon electors and kings. First mentioned in the 14th century as a castle complex, the four-winged palace was built in the 15th century. After being destroyed by fire in 1701, the palace was rebuilt under Augustus the Strong. Today, the exterior of the residential palace is neo-Renaissance in style, and the large palace courtyard is decorated with sgraffito paintings in the Renaissance style. It is surmounted by the Hausmann Tower, from which one has an interesting overview of the old town. The castle was destroyed during the Second World War. Reconstruction began in 1985 as a museum complex of the Dresden State Art Collections.
||tram 1, 2, 4, 12 and bus 75 till Postplatz
||Last update: 29.6.2021
(Note: Map information is provided without engagement. The visible part of the map may also be moved by dragging it by mouse.)